Pastoral Problems

 


Pastoral Problems

Today is my 33rd Birthday, and, today, I’m reminded of what I call "Pastoral Problems,” and sense I’m a Pastor it’s very fitting and helpful to think on these things.

Each of these Pastoral Problems are probably not what you are thinking. Much of my “Pastoral Problems” are not because of others, but because of self. You’ll gather what I mean as you read.

Here are a few Personal Pastoral Problems above many that could arise (and I’m sure they can be found in any child of God’s spiritual life, as well):

I. The Elijah Syndrome - a.k.a The "I’m the only one doing anything for God” syndrome. This is prideful and inconsiderate of the many who are faithful to God’s call. 

“[13] And it was so , when Elijah heard it , that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? [14] And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away. [18] Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.“ 1 Kings 19:13-14,18

II. The Diotrephes Disease - a.k.a. The “ministry is all about me” disease. This leads to destroying the work and testimony of God’s church.

“[9] I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. [10] Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. [11] Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.“ 3 John 1:9-11

III. The Peter Problem - a.k.a. The "foot in mouth” problem. This often leads to reproof and rebuke, and maybe an embarrassed, sheepish countenance.

“[21] From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. [22] Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. [23] But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. [24] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.“ Matthew 16:21-24

IV. The Cain Catastrophe - a.k.a. The “I can lead my ministry however I choose and still glorify God” catastrophe. This often leads to outbursts of anger. Genesis 4:1-16

Conclusion:

I need John the Baptist’s humility - a.k.a The “He must increase, but I must decrease,” humility that is able to understand the vast number of people serving God faithfully, cares more about glorifying God than promoting self, thinks before he speaks, and learns to lead ministries according to God’s desires through God’s Word.

God bless you, and thank you for reading!

Blessed Beyond Measure,
Pastor Justyn Smith
CrossroadsPeoria.Life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise Alaska Trip

2022 End Of The Year Update

An Audio Witness