Cast A Weekly Vision

 

Photo Credit: Karl Fredrickson on Unsplash 
Cast A Weekly Vision

I want to encourage you to cast a weekly vision...to sit down, look ahead, create a plan of attack and then seek to execute that plan effectively and efficiently. 

The Bible says in Proverbs 29:18, "Where there is no vision, the people perish..." Though we know the main emphasis is on happily keeping the command of God and correcting a child for a child's future, we can make the application of having correct vision in other areas of life as well.

I ask myself, "What may fall through the cracks of my life's work if I don't create a vision to execute for the glory of God?" God has made me a steward of His work according to His will and Word. I want to redeem the time and pursue His calling with great impact!

As a Pastor, each week is a blank slate. I have great opportunities to minister for the glory of God over every horizon. I cause myself to contemplate the question, "Will I accomplish anything for the glory of God tomorrow, next week...this year?"

One of my favorite statements along this line is:

"If you aim at nothing, you'll miss every time."

What are you aiming at, or, are you even aiming at all?

I have purposed to keep a work log for a number of years now. Each year, or within a year, I tweak the system a bit-making adjustments for effectiveness and efficiency. I DO THIS to redeem the time and create an atmosphere of being a good steward to the "what's" and "who's" God has called me to!

One of my favorite ways to cast a vision as a Pastor was guided by the counsel of Pastor Cary Schmidt when I attended one of his breakout sessions at a local Bible Conference. He challenged us to have a plan of attack in the ministry. He gave us his game plan. He encouraged us to categorize our week with the following Priorities: 1. Feed the Flock, 2. Fellowship with Believers, 3. Reach Out/Follow Up, and 4. Church Business.

Weekly 2018 vision tracker called-The Pastoral Log
I have utilized this, and I like it! I have made tweaks of my own over the years, and, below, you'll notice an example screen shot of how I've put this format to use with the tweaks I've made. What I now call the, Daily Pastoral Log was created in Numbers. It can be shared with others so collaboration can be accomplished in real time. I created the pictured log for each week of the year, and placed them into twelve tabs-one fore each month. I tell my trustees they can look at this any time. This keeps me accountable to be a hard worker. (It's amazing how when you create a plan, you can work 60 plus hours a week, golf three or four rounds, work out daily, spend quality time with family, and still have time to work a second job if needed.) All I can say is, God is good!

Let me break down how I cast a weekly vision. May this vision insight be a huge encouragement to you (whatever your responsibilities are), and may you accomplish much for the glory of God in your specific life calling.

First, SIT DOWN, LOOK AHEAD, and CREATE A PLAN OF ATTACK.

The last thing I attempt to do during my last work day of the week is to sit down and look ahead to the following week. I fill out the following categories:

I. Feed the Flock. I ask myself: "In what ways do I have the honor and responsibility to feed the flock of God this week?" I fill in a blank for each message to prepare or event of which i'm preaching in. Then, I move on to the second priority.

II. Fellowship with Believers. For work purposes, this predominantly refers to making a point to fellowship with individuals and families in our church. We want to make sure that we spend time with the people God has called us to minister to. For instance, as I write this, I have lunch plans with a gentleman in our church later today, I went to breakfast yesterday morning with another man in our church, and Rachel, Lydia and I took a new visiting family to lunch Sunday after church. Fellowship with each other is so important. It doesn't have to be around the dinner table...it can be around a table game or sporting event, but plan to spend time with one another. Next, I move on to the third priority.

III. Follow Up/Out Reach. I ask myself, "What emails, texts, letters or visits do I need to create next week and for what purpose? Who do I need to visit next week as a Pastor and why?" I list those out, and then I move on to my last work priority.

IV. Church Business. What business related matters do I need to tend to to keep things moving swiftly at the Church? I write them down, and then I move on to personal planning.

THERE ARE TWO AREAS I make personal plans for. They are as follows: 1. I plan my workout and exercise routine, and 2. I plan for family time and specific things I can do for my wife that would be a blessing to her. Both of these areas are planned so that I will place myself in the position of having a good physical and family testimony during the busyness of a work week. Remember, If you lose your family, you lose your ministry.

Second and last, EXECUTE YOUR PLAN FOR THE GLORY OF GOD.

Aside from tracking hours, keeping important updates, prayer requests, need to knows, and church stats within the Daily Pastoral Log, we primarily utilize this log to make plans and then fulfill those plans. I challenge myself. I attempt to have the "dog and frisbee" mentality with checklists. The lists have been launched into the week, and now I get to chase after them. It's my desire to chase after them and effectively and efficiently catch each of them.

I stand amazed at how the Lord has greatly used this way of weekly planning in my life. Your week doesn't have to be planned out exactly like mine, but I encourage you to cast a vision.

Not everything will be completed every week, and, sometimes, more important tasks will pop up spontaneously. Either way, let's not be guilty of slothfulness in what God has called us to be fervent in! Remember the following verse:
"Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord...Romans 12:11"
We have been created "unto good works" as Paul taught in Ephesus. May we be able to look ahead, that we may look back and rejoice over all God has done through us!

I must end by stating to everyone who loves to roll up their selves and get to it...remember, it's so important to listen to the Lord and your body...get the REST your body needs! I have noticed a significant increase in stamina and endurance in work and play when I have purposed to eat for fuel instead of for fun. I've also noticed the same stamina and endurance affects when I accomplish regular purspoed workouts. Shouldn't a preacher be an example of the goodness of God in all areas of life?

Thank you for reading!

Blessed Beyond Measure,
Pastor Justyn Smith • CrossroadsPeoria.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise Alaska Trip

2022 End Of The Year Update

An Audio Witness