When Two Become One

 

Seven years ago yesterday (July 21st, 2014) I married the lady of my dreams! She is smart, godly, and lovely on the inside and out, and most of all, she is God’s perfect match for me! I call her my “good thing” based upon Proverbs 18:22 which says, “Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favor of the LORD.” (God knew I needed her to obtain favor with HIM…so He gave me Rachel!) :)
The date: Saturday, July 21st, 2007. The location: Birch Harbor Baptist Church, Wasilla, AK. The occasion: God taking two individual people and making them one by the bond of holy matrimony (a term which many today disregard) before God and many witnesses. 
Seven years have passed since that wonderful day when we said, “I Do,” and we thank the Lord for every minute of our marriage. The valleys, the mountain tops, the trials, and the joys have all been profitable to bind us together for the glory of God, for after all, two did not become one for the purpose of being pulled apart. 
God placed us together to fulfill His unique will through us as a couple. There are three things out of many that I choose to thank God for concerning these seven years of wonderful marriage…they are as follows:
1. God’s Peace. There is nothing more calming in a relationship than knowing you have married God’s choice spouse for your life. We married each other with no prior baggage hanging off our lives, and we married each other with nothing hidden from each other. As we keep our eyes on the Lord we know all will continue to “go well” between us. I’m so thankful that we don’t have to worry about “falling out of love” with each other. I often pray, “Lord, help me to love you the way I should that I may show my wife the love she deserves and needs.” Looking back, God’s peace in our relationship produces no fear and, therefore, great peace anticipated for our future! 
2. God’s Provision. It is simply amazing to pause and consider the great and mighty things the Lord has done for us! God has provided homes, wonderful relationships with our families, ministry engagements, friends and family in the faith, daily needs, the lost saved, the saints revived, ministry support (without asking man for it), a vehicle for the ministry, a wonderful church family, and vision for the future. Time would fail to continue speaking of all the many things He has done for us, but the most important things God has done for us is provide us with Salvation through Jesus Christ and a desire to draw closer to each other as we draw closer to HIM! Looking back, God’s provisions in our relationship produces no fear in our lives for future needs!
3. God’s Power. Wow! We never imagined that God would bless with such power in our realtionship as He has. I mean, power to overcome temptation, together. Power to overcome financial hardships, together. Power to overcome emotional “down times,” together. Power to preach the Word and sing for God, together. Power to counsel with others in desperate  need, together. I’m telling you, God has been so gracious as to bless us with His power for daily living. Paul said in Philippians 3:10, “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection…” It’s a true joy to be able to get to know God’s power together in a married relationship. Looking back, God’s Power in our relationship produces a great desire for His power in the future!  
I like to joke around about the fact that God allowed us to get married on July 21st so I could remember our anniversary date in an easy way, “When ‘2’ become '1’ - the 21st,” but whether or not a couple gets married on the 21st or not the two of them still become one. Its a great joy to to live within the blessedness of Holy Matrimony. Please learn to enjoy the pleasures of living for God together as one for the glory of God…when to become one!
Thanks for reading and heeding! 
Pastor Smith 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise Alaska Trip

2022 End Of The Year Update

An Audio Witness