We Need Rest

 


This challenge to rest was complied and written after a challenge on “Worker or Waster” was published. I believe it is imperative to understand that we should not be lazy, but I also believe that it is equally important to take rest.
As for me, my personal weakness is getting myself to take rest. (Can I get a witness?) I understand the need to, but every time I sit down to rest I begin to think of all the things I need to do or could do. I actually have to force myself to do nothing, and tell myself over and over again, “It’s ok to rest. Everything will be fine. You aren’t the one keeping things going as it is…that’s the Lord’s job. Etc.”
Let me be honest…there are a lot of lazy preachers out there, and I told myself years ago that I never want to give my congregation a reason to believe their pastor is lazy. I desire for them to understand that their pastor is a hard worker and that being evident in my preaching, praying, visiting, DIY jobs, design work, how he takes care of his body, ministering, etc.
A pastor’s job is never done. Much like the job of being a parent, a pastor does not “clock out,” but is continually on call. He doesn’t have a 40 hour/5 day work week, and, from experience, I actually feel like I hardly did a thing if I only work 40 hours in one week’s time. Note, there’s always another hospital visit, another sermon to prepare, another hour in prayer, another street to canvass, another situation to counsel, another maintenance job, etc., and pastors feel that they have failed when they can’t get to it all.
Now, please understand, I’m certainly not complaining! I love what I do, and I love how the church I pastor cares for me, loves me, and supports me as I serve the Lord in Peoria, IL. I have a congregation that would push for their Pastor’s health being cared, and I appreciate that. Now, I’m certainly not trying to get you to say, “You’re entitled to some rest, preacher,” because I never want to feed the entitlement philosophy. But let me just say this, for others who may be reading this document from other churches, please don’t get upset when your Man of God takes rest, get-a-ways, vacations, or time off every once and a while. He needs it (whether he’ll admit it or not)! If He’s a good man of God, he won’t abuse the situations of rest. I hope your pastor isn’t scared to say, “My family and I are getting away for a bit, or we are excited about taking another vacation.” 
Hey churches out there…it’s not a bad idea if churches or individuals started saying, “Let’s help our pastor get-a-way (temporarily, of course [wink face]), and give him an opportunity to be renewed and refreshed.” Maybe a church would say, “Hey, pastor, this one’s on us,” or maybe an individual or a family would take it upon themselves to say, “Hey, preacher, here’s a little extra spending cash while you’re away.” You never know how that would encourage your preacher and lift a load while he and his family are getting the vacation/rest that they need. 
My family and I are getting ready to take a vacation in a couple weeks, and I’m certainly not writing this for any benefits to be received on my part. The Lord simply pointed me in this direction for my personal understanding and well being in the area of rest, and I hope it can be an encouragement to you. 
Please note the following truths from God’s Holy Word about rest…
After God found satisfaction in what He had made during creation, He rested.
“And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.” Genesis 1:31
“And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.” Genesis 2:2
God rested to set forth a pattern and example for our lives.
“So the people rested on the seventh day.” Exodus 16:30
Let’s understand that God doesn’t need rest, but we do.
“He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.” Psalm 121:3-4
People have given themselves to the accomplishment of great things for God by stating, “I will not rest until the job is complete.”
“Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed; I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids, Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.” Psalm 132:3-5
Properly disciplining children will bring parents rest.
“Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul. Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.” Proverbs 29:17-18
We must learn to rest in Christ to find spiritual rest.
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Jesus invited his disciples to a season of rest from the busy schedule of ministry.
“ And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.” Mark 6:31-32
May you feel at ease to slip away for awhile and take rest so that you may be refreshed physically, emotionally and spiritually. 
Oh, and by the way, we should never rest at living the christian life. We must always let our lights shine! :-) (But you knew that already, didn’t you?!)
Blessed Beyond Measure,
Pastor Justyn Smith
CrossroadsPeoria.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise Alaska Trip

2022 End Of The Year Update

An Audio Witness